Once again, One Piece gets the top seat as the best-selling manga according to today’s announcement in Oricon. Oricon is a company that manages statistics when it comes to the Japanese book and music industry. The annual ranking for the best-selling mangas that they have released covers December 1, 2014 to November 30, 2015 – a period in which One Piece was able to sell a total of 14,102,521 copies. This suggests an additional 18% prior to 2014’s 11,885,957 copies sold. To date, this has been Eiichiro Oda’s seventh year of grabbing the crown.
Taking the second place is The Seven Deadly Sins by Nakaba Suzuki. Indeed, the series made an amazing leap from its 9th place in 2014. It took the spot of Attack on Titan by Hajime Isayama which is in 3rd place this year. Around ten million copies of The Seven Deadly Sins was sold this year, which is about twice the amount of last year’s four million copies.
2015 Manga Sales Ranking Top 10 (series)
- One Piece – 14,102,521 copies sold
- The Seven Deadly Sins – 10,304,112 copies sold
- Attack on Titan – 8,778,048 copies sold
- Assassination Classroom – 8,605,861 copies sold
- Kingdom – 8,569,215 copies sold
- Haikyu!! – 6,531,508 copies sold
- Shokugeki no Soma – 4,321,830 copies sold
- Terraformars – 4,188,158 copies sold
- Prison School – 4,058,119 copies sold
- Tokyo Ghoul:re – 3,758,541 copies sold
About One Piece:
One Piece is series by Eiichiro Oda published by Shueisha since 1997. It stars Monkey D. Luffy, a young boy who envisions himself being the Pirate King someday. To be able to conquer the seas, the first task he has in mind is to find his crew. He has a set of 10 members, all having different roles. So far, his crew is the following:
- The Pirate Hunter: Zoro. Using his 3 swords technique, his dream is to become the world’s greatest swordsman.
- The Navigator: Nami. She is a thief, stealing the riches of pirates. Aside from being good at maps, she is also awesome at forecasting the weather.
- The Sniper: Usopp. Though he is usually the first one to think of fleeing during battle, his aim should definitely not be taken lightly.
- The Chef: Sanji. His motto is to use only his legs when in combat since his hands are used for cooking. Thus, he became famous as Black Leg Sanji.
- The Doctor: Chopper. Though his human characteristics were only derived from accidentally eating a devil’s fruit, it cannot be denied that he has vast knowledge in treating several various diseases.
- The Historian: Robin. Her aim is to know the True History of the world.
- The Architect: Franky. When it comes to the condition of the ship, no one knows it better than Franky. He uses cola to energize his body which appears to be a full cyborg at first glance.
- The Musician: Brook. Other than being good at musical instruments, he is also good at using swords.
Together, the Straw hat’s ship, Going Merry which was replaced by the Thousand Sunny later on, sails in the Grand Line.
One Piece certainly has one of the most colorful worlds there is. Every island they visit has a different set of people and culture. It’s art definitely takes you away from the traditional anime style yet brings about a very interesting story in the manner of how the plot is laid out. The series also brings about a good sense of humor making it enjoyable for its readers.